Saturday, 15 May 2010

Along the Tyne

I thought I’d have a wonder around somewhere different this weekend and so went along the south west part of the Tyne River where I had passed by a number of occasions and was curious about.  I’m not a born and bred ‘Geordie’ but I have lived here long enough to see massive changes to the looks of the area especially the redevelopment of the river areas from the industrial and shipbuilding to leisure and housing.  There is also a lot of forgotten areas like this one I visited that was slowly being reclaimed by nature.

From a distance this area looks quite green, but on closer inspection there is a lot of debris – glass, brick, metals as well as general rubbish including plastics, batteries and circuit boards, so although time will visually remove the industrial scars, much of the waste will remain for a  considerable period yet.

The Tyne itself has also come a long way.  From being polluted by industry to a clean river where Otters are now found, which is usually a sure sign as to the health of a river.


Along the banks, when the tide is right, a variety of birds collect, though on this occasion the tide was too low and only some Shelducks were feeding by sifting through the mud, with overhead, Gulls and Swifts.


Shelducks watching one of the many recreational activities that take place on the Tyne.


Later, I visited Shibdon Pond Local Nature Reserve, further along the Tyne.  I hadn’t been here for a while, normally finding it a bit quite, which sure enough, when I arrived, it was.  Most of the activity was in the middle of the large pond but after a while a Lapwing came by and did a bit of pruning.


Whilst trying to track a Turn in my viewfinder, I heard a commotion to the right and saw a Moorhen and Coot having a bit of a disagreement and was able to quickly swing my camera around to catch the end of territorial conflict between the two.  Both these birds can be very confrontational when it comes to defending their territory or nest.


Coot Vs Moorhen

TBP_4297 TBP_4298 TBP_4299

After the Coot and Moorhen finished and went their separate ways, I went back to photographing a Tern.  This particular one was feeding its mate who was on a nearby man made platform and would follow a regular pattern which occasionally meant coming close enough so that I could get a half decent photograph.  He would take off, fly across to my left, hovering sometimes and diving then reach a certain point then go back the same way by which time it had usually caught a fish which it then took back to his partner then start the process again.  I watched him have about seven successful trips before he eventually had a rest.



Post a Comment