Saturday 11 December 2010

Momentary Respite

After over two weeks of snow, I got up early today to find most of it suddenly gone, just some compact icy parts which I had to navigate over without slipping and breaking my neck as I made my way in the dark down the street.  It seemed strange to be able to plant my feet on real terrafirma instead of snow.  It was almost a clear sky and a cool 3 degrees though still quite dark when I reached the coast and the sky was turning a beautiful orange colour as the sun started to rise.

I never get bored with watching the sun rise, there’s something special about it – the colours and you can actually see the sun rising.  With the view I had I thought I would set up my long lens and try and photograph the sun close up, something I have never tried before, obviously making sure I didn’t give my eyes some ‘laser treatment’.  As I waited for the big moment I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and swung my lens around just in time to see a Fox bounding across a patch of short grass into some bushes.  Unfortunately, my camera set up was for a small aperture in readiness for the bright sun and so I could only get a 1/40th of a second shot off in the gloom, before it disappeared.

Back to the sunrise, I was able to take a few images before the light became too strong, with the last perfect timing as some birds took to the air.

TBP_7665
789[10]
TBP_7675
 

With the sun now well and truly up and the light improving I headed down to the waterline.  I wasn’t expecting much as I new the tide was going out which is not the best time to photograph shore birds as they will be moving away from you, however, after settling myself down a few Oystercatchers and Redshanks came into lens range.

After a while I headed back to where I had seen the Fox in the off chance it may return, and had a sandwich to eat which attracted a Robin.  I broke off some bits for it and left them close by which it soon came for though it was too close to photograph.  The Fox didn’t return not surprisingly.  Looks like I’m not going to get a decent shot of one this year.

 
TBP_7749
 
TBP_7738
 
TBP_7761
 
TBP_7780
 
TBP_7928

0 comments:

Post a Comment