Saturday 12 July 2014

Peek-a-boo Fox

This is a good time to see Foxes.  This years youngsters are off on their own, out exploring and have less fear of people combined with an abundance of curiosity.  It was with this thought that I set off early this morning and, no sooner had I set up my camera, I saw my first Fox.  Unfortunately the downside of this time of year, was the amount of vegetation around  - more so at this time due to the warm weather combined with some wet spells, creating a large amount of long grass.  The Fox was, for the most part, hidden as it strolled past in the warm sunshine and I soon lost sight of it.

I waited in the hope I might catch another glimpse of it, but the distance racket made by half a dozen Magpies suggested it had moved further away.  Magpies are a great way of finding predators, particularly Foxes so I followed them to their obvious mobbing.  No sooner had I reached the spot, then they had moved further back the way I had come, so I followed them again but they moved away once more!  I decided to give up the chase and found a spot where I could train my lens on the only open area I could find so at least, if a Fox did go by I could hopefully get a reasonable shot of it.

I waited over thirty minutes and with no more Magpie alarm calls and a relaxed looking Rabbit feeding in the open, I figured that was it.  I reached down and picked up my camera bag, slung it over my shoulder, looked up and saw a Fox (image below) just watching me from behind a bush.  I was able to take one photo before it darted away.

Fox

Figuring that it would might return if I waited long enough, I made myself comfortable.  Unfortunately, I hadn’t brought my camouflaged netting so I was a little exposed, with just the trees to my back breaking up my silhouette.  Just as I was once again thinking that was it, I saw to my left movement through the heavy undergrowth.  It was the Fox, sitting soaking in some sunshine and I only saw it move because of the flies that were making it shake its head in irritation.

Fox

The combination of the flies and my taking a photograph was enough for it to move off into the nearby bush.  Once again it was a case of waiting and hoping it would appear once again and sure enough, another short wait and it walked across the open section I had originally trained my lens on.  It was clearly on the look out for rodents in the undergrowth and despite it being in a bit more of an open area, was still being largely hidden by the grass.  I tried to be a bit less liberal with my shutter action, as the noise kept getting its attention and I didn’t want to make it uncomfortable.

Fox
Fox

This paid off as, after a while, it made its way closer and closer to my position and I set my camera option to ‘silent’ mode.  Not exactly silent, but not the obvious ‘clunk’ of the normal sound and sure enough, it had no effect at all on getting its attention.  It still looked in my direction every now and then, but with it moving closer and seemingly more interested in what was around, suggested it wasn’t concerned by my presence or the noise of the shutter.

Finally, it moved out into an open area close to me and I was able to get some unrestricted images.  Unfortunately, the strong lighting coming from behind and right did not make for ideal looking photographs – far too much contrast, but that was second to having such a close encounter with one of my favourite animals on a lovely warm, sunny day.

Fox
Fox
Fox
Fox
Fox

2 comments: